If your furbaby is anything like mine, storms terrify them. My little guy starts shaking all over and is so pitiful and he gets hot and starts panting and running all around the house.
Thank goodness he is not one that will become destructive during thunderstorms, but he will go and hide if my husband or I don’t pick him up and put him on the sofa with us.
Usually, I will have to cover him up with a blanket and hold him close for him to start and calm down and I try and cover his head so he can’t see the lightning.
Sometimes he starts acting crazy before the clouds and storms start rolling in! I think animals can predict the weather better than the weather channel.
I have come to the realization that most if not all dogs are terrified of thunderstorms. Well, at least that has been my experience as a dog owner. So, when the weatherman mentions thunderstorms in the forecast I know that my furbaby is going to be a basket case.
In this post, I am going to help you get to the root of the problem and give you some tips on How to Calm Your Dog During Storms and some products that have been scientifically proven to work. Enjoy!😉
The Sounds of Thunder/Lighting
For most dogs, the sound of thunder is the culprit and is very upsetting to them, while others it’s the lighting, thunder, barometric changes, and even the smell of rain.
There are several alternatives to keeping your furbaby calm during storms, but one of the first things I would recommend to you is to speak with your pet’s Veterinarian to determine how bad your pet’s anxiety really is and the best course of treatment to take.
I believe in trying other more natural remedies before resorting to using medications on my furbaby, but of course, if he was getting to the point of harming himself and being destructive then I would feel it necessary to use medications. (Veterinarian recommend only!)
Next up are my tips for calming your pup down during storms.
8 of My Best Tips for Calming Your Dog During Storms
- I would recommend that you speak with your pet’s Veterinarian first to determine how bad your pet’s anxiety really is and the best course of treatment to take.
- If at all possible try to be home with your pup when you know storms are in the forecast. An already anxious storm fearing pup does not need to be left alone because this only worsens their anxiety.
- If you can’t be home with your furbaby, it would be a good idea to put them in a crate especially if they become destructive or could possibly harm themselves. Leave the door open so your pup won’t feel trapped and break their teeth trying to get out! Place the crate in a room with no windows or close the blinds so they are less likely to see the lightning.
- Definitely bring them indoors. Dogs have been known to run away from home during a thunderstorm because they were so scared.
- Make your furbaby feels safe and secure when you are home with them by wrapping them up or covering them with a blanket and holding them close to you. This really helps to calm my little one down.
- Playing soothing music can calm an anxious pooch, I know this works because I have done it for my furbaby. Having the TV on will also help to drown out some of the noise of the storm.
- You can try using pheromones such as Adaptil Diffuser which comes in a collar or spray form to help your furbaby to feel calmer.
- You can purchase a thunderstorm CD and play it at a very low volume and increase the volume over several weeks to help desensitize your pup to storms. While doing this make sure to give your furbaby their favorite treats, love, and positive interaction.
Trying these steps will definitely help you on How to Calm Your Dog During Storms.
Products Scientifically Proven to Work
- Thunder Shirt- It’s the same principal as swaddling a newborn human baby. It applies gentle constant pressure to their torso to help your furbaby feel safe and secure.
- AKC – American Kennel Club Calming Coat- this coat helps with anxiety and calms your furbaby down. This coat also applies gentle pressure to the pups torso and swaddles them like a mom swaddles her newborn infant.
- The Company of Animals Anxiety Wrap-this is a cuddle wrap that helps to relieve your furbaby’s anxiety of storms and other loud noises. It’s comfy and breathable so your pup doesn’t feel restricted.
- Mellow Shirt Dog Anxiety Calming Wrap- another fine product that swaddles your furbaby in a gentle pressure to make them safe and secure without feeling restricted.
Now, let’s take look at some other products customers purchase in conjunction with the swaddling shirts and wraps.
Calming Treats for Your Dog’s Anxiety/Stress
Calming Treats For Dogs- a natural way to help with your pet’s anxiety without having to use prescription medications. It comes in peanut butter, turkey, and turkey with melatonin.
Pawlife Calming Treats for Dogs- another natural way to help your furbaby stay calm and anxious free during a thunderstorm. The flavor for this treat is duck.
PremiumCare Calming Treats for Dogs-this natural calming treat is infused with hemp oil to help with calming them down. Calms 99% of pups anxiety and stress.
Hemp Oil for Dogs Cats Pets, Organic Calming Dog Treats-this premium Hemp Oil will help to keep your pet calm and also helps with your furbaby’s joint pain. So, with this product, you get a two for one deal!
Well, my friends, I hope this post will help to guide you on How to Calm Your Dog During Storms. It is so important for us to help our furbabies with any anxiety or stress they may be facing.
There are so many ways that you can do this, but the information that I have given you is purely my opinion on helping your pets to stay calm during thunderstorms. These products will also help them with fireworks, separation anxiety, and many other noises that can un-nerve your pets.
I want to help you keep your pets healthy, safe and happy. These are my number one priorities for you and your pets.🐶
Should you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will get back to you in 24 hours.
Thanks so much for stopping by and don’t forget Like, Share, and Follow my post to get valuable information for you and your pets.🙂
See ya again real soon,
P.S. Do you have a more Sophisticated Pooch? Go <<HERE>>for a more stylish End Table crate😉